Monday, October 26, 2009

Writing on the wall


Since I decided to begin making use of Facebook as a means of communicating with my students out of class, the post to response time has generally dropped in some cases from hours to minutes, clearly something I should tried before. So now I start to think of ways that I can make use of the network to draw-in and engage it with college life more. I began by posting out messages of congratulations accompanied by badges for work they had completed to an exceptionally good standard for C programming exercises. Now if I had write access to their personal Wall on Facebook, then I would post there for everyone to see, if they had not given be write access, then I simply sent it via email. Was it popular, well some have replied with a thank you, but perhaps more meaningfully, those that did not grant me write access to their wall now have.

3 Comments:

Blogger T'lia said...

This is just a (slighlty wild, crazy) idea that I have no idea how to implement, BUT,

Could you create a facebook application for your awards? Could it somehow connect with your school moodle?

I'm not sure of the details, but it's just something I thought of while I was reading your post!

1:18 AM  
Blogger Barrys said...

Hi Talia, there is in fact a Moodle facebook integration project, though I am not sure how far the implementation has gone yet.
Details here are here http://moodle.org/login/index.php

thanks for post

11:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It'll be really great if you can create an application for the awards. At least you won't have any problems with the learners that doesn't allow you to write access their wall. They'll be automatically tagged. :D

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home